Perusall is a social annotation tool that allows students and faculty to interact with reading materials, images, videos, and podcasts in a style akin to social media. Instead of reading a document and engaging with it via a separate discussion thread, Perusall brings the discussion to the text. Instructors can upload their own content and/or adopt a course textbook through the platform. After making assigned materials available in the platform, students and Instructors can comment, highlight, share notes, and create threaded discussions directly within the shared text.
- Allows for collaborative annotation within and around a shared text or website.
- Offers options for individual or group comments and note sharing.
- Gives students/instructions the ability to organize concepts, responses, and discussion themes via hashtags.
- Enables multi-media annotation possible via videos, images, external linking, etc.
- Presents a dashboard for uploaded documents/linked websites for easy navigation organization, engagement analysis.
- Provides an avenue for formal or informal interaction with course content.
- Creates a space for low-stakes discussion surrounding web-based resources within and around that resource.
- Offers exportable snapshots for collections of quotations and figures.
- Provides granular information about student interactions with content, including engagement time, “confusion reports,” posting frequency and downloadable csv files of all student annotations within a text.
- Makes content accessible through option to “read aloud” in multiple languages