Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Paper Elements and Format
APA dictates specific standards for layout of the document.
- 12 pt Times New Roman Font
- 1” margins on all sides
- Double space
- Page numbers in the header on every page
Major Components of a Paper
- Title Page
- Abstract (may not be required by your instructor)
- Main Body
- Header example:
- Pages are numbered at the top right of the page, starting with the title page as page 1
- In the upper half of the page include the following information centered: title of the paper, the author's name, institutional affiliation, course number and name, instructor name, and assignment due date.
- Begin body content on page number 3 (or 2 if there is no Abstract)
- Type and center the full title of the paper at the top of the page - first main body page only; subsequent pages will only have the page number in the upper right hand corner
- Indent the beginning of paragraphs
- Type the text double-spaced with all sections following each other without a break between paragraphs
- Identify the sources you use in the paper in parenthetical, in-text citations
- Format tables and figures
Excelsior OWL has created this great checklist to make sure you have covered all of the APA 7 formatting requirements.