The Assignment Options
Art History Term Paper (30 points)
Choose one of the following topics and write a 6 page paper in response. The paper should be well-researched and presented in a professional manner paying attention to coherence and grammatical accuracy.
- Discuss the influences of Near Eastern, Greek, and Roman art on the development of Christian Art. Comment on early depictions of Christ, development of religious architecture, and Funerary art. Site specific examples.
- Referring to specific works and/or artists, discuss at least 5 varying interpretations of the human body from prehistory to the Proto-Renaissance. Identify the work or artist that you consider the most interesting or compelling and explain why you think so.
- Discuss the representation of mythology in Geometric, Archaic, and Classical period Greek sculpture. What were the influences? Pay attention to how the visual forms (proportion, balance, movement, beauty) reflect the philosophies of the periods.
- Examine the development of narrative in art, focusing on works on walls (relief sculpture and paintings). Pay attention to shifts in the works of Paleolithic, Near Eastern, Egyptian, Greek, and Medieval cultures.
- In Roman art and architecture, discuss the difference between art commissioned from the Imperial workshops and art produced for the working class. Use examples to support your comments.
- Examine images of death and the macabre in Medieval and Early Renaissance art. How can you relate this to the period’s concepts of the afterlife? Pay particular attention to the 14th century and the Black Death.
Recommended Databases in GALILEO
Go to Databases A-Z on main GALILEO Page and find these in the alphabetized list.
ACADEMIC SEARCH COMPLETE
CREDO REFERENCE (then click on Encyclopedias, find the Art section, and select Bloomsbury's Guide)
RESEARCH LIBRARY@ PROQUEST
Writing research papers is an intergral part of many of the classes offered at GHC and one, often confusing, aspect of writing is citing the sources you used to gather your information. Although numerous styles for formatting your citations have been developed, the two most commonly used styles here at GHC are MLA (Modern Language Association) and APA (American Psychological Association).
GHC has received permission from Purdue University to link to their very useful Online Writing Lab (OWL) to help our students with writing their research papers. This site has extensive information on performing research, writing papers, and formatting for papers and citations. There are examples for citing resources (books, magazines, journals, newspapers, web sites, etc.) whether physical or electronic versions.
Click here for the MLA Guide.
Click here for the APA Guide.
Floyd Campus, Office Hours: Mon.-Tues., 8-6 p.m. & Wed.-Thu., 11-9 p.m.