FCCS 1100 RESEARCH PROJECT
FCCS 1100 Research Project
Task: To research a field in which there has been major technological change or to examine the advancement of a particular technology itself. The research will be conducted by 3 person groups with each individual in the group either writing on the past, present, or future of the technology. Each person will turn in his or her own individual paper on either the past, present or future, but the group will collaborate on an abstract (through Google Docs) that pulls the 3 aspects together. Individual PowerPoint presentations will also be made, but the group members will follow each other in the presentation order.
Topic Ideas: Each group may choose from those listed below or may select another area of interest. In either case, the instructor must approve the choice. Topic areas may be broadened or narrowed to accommodate the research.
Technology in the classroom
Oil Spill Recovery
Energy Source Discovery
Athletic Training Technology
Cruise Ship Technology
Earth Flight Technology
Space Flight Technology
Weather Technology – Prediction, Detection, and/or Preparation
Earthquake Technology – Prediction, Detection, and/or Preparation
Cleaning Water/Finding Water/Transporting Water
Video Game Technology
Medical Diagnostic Procedures
Curing Cancer or other diseases
New drug development
Mechanics of Paper: Should be written in Word 2010 and follow MLA style guidelines as outlined in your Word book – Chapter 2. 4 pages of content (not including reference page). Must have a minimum of 5 sources (3 from Galileo and at least one peer-reviewed).
Mechanics of PowerPoint: Should be done in PowerPoint 2010 and contain a minimum of 5 slides. The slides must have at least one clip art and one transition.
Turn in on day all project work is due: Abstract, Paper, PowerPoint and a minimum of 5 source evaluations. All to be submitted through Vista assignment dropbox.
Questions to consider within each aspect of Past, Present, and Future (Note: These questions are the minimum items that must be covered in your paper.)
• What was the impetus behind the technology development? Was there a need to be met? What was it?
• Who were the major players?
• Trace the history and major developments of the technology
• What were the major roadblocks? How were they overcome?
• How was the technology initially received?
• What were its intended use(s)?
• What were some of the developers initial thoughts on the impact the technology would have on society?
• What were some of the developers initial thoughts on the impact the technology would have on the environment?
• What is the current state of the technology? Where is it used? How is it used? How does it work? Is it profitable? How widely adapted is it? Has it lived up to expectations?
• Who are the major players now?
• Is the technology being used as intended or has it been adapted from the original intent?
• What are its problems?
• What are its successes?
• What is its impact on society?
• What is its impact on the environment?
• What research is being done in the field and by whom?
• What is the direction of the research? Why is it being undertaken? Is there a monetary motive? Is it being undertaken to improve something? If so, what?
• What roadblocks need to be overcome to advance the research?
• What are the expected outcomes of the research?
• What are the potential future impacts on society?
• What are the potential future impacts on the environment?