Micro IC Assignment
Information Competency (IC) Assignment
The Information Competency (IC) Exercise in Medical Microbiology will measure the student’s ability to effectively locate, evaluate, and use information regarding a given disease.
The Student will be randomly assigned a specific disease and will be required to collect relevant information regarding TREATMENT of the specific disease and complete a bibliography page of the references. The project must be turned in on or before Tuesday, October 25, 2011.
The project should include the following materials secured with a paper clip or put in a folder:
______ 1. A cover sheet with Title, Name, and Date
______ 2. A written bibliography that lists 4 sources (see #3) arranged in alphabetical order by the last name of the first author on the publication. If there is no author, list the name of the foundation or source of information first, then date, title, etc.
Please use this helpful website for APA Bibliography formatting specific for this project:
______ 3. Copies of the 4 sources used (you can just submit the first few pages if the article is long). The references should be specific for the topic assigned and should include: a peer-reviewed journal article (full-text*, not abstract), a reference book (cover, publication information and section), a non-peer reviewed article (magazine or newspaper), AND a stand-alone internet source*.
______ 4. At the top of each source copy, write your name, what type of source it is (book, journal, etc.), indicate whether it is a primary or secondary source and highlight or mark the portion of text specific for your topic.
Please use this helpful website for information on primary and secondary sources:
1. Full-text copies of peer-reviewed journals can be obtained from GALILEO from the GHC library or PubMed at NIH.
-For GALILEO search Database + Proquest + Nursing and Allied Health + Advanced search + Full Text + Peer-reviewed + source type
-For PubMed do Advanced Search + Limits + links to free full text
2. Acceptable internet sources include medical foundations or health organizations such as CDC or NIH - NOT Wikipedia.
The student will be graded on 4 possible outcomes worth 10 points each (40 points total):
1. The student was able to correctly determine the type and extent of information needed to complete the assignment. All 4 of their sources were specific for their topic.
2. The student was able to access the information effectively and efficiently. They were able to correctly collect all 4 of the different source types required for the project.
3. The student was able to evaluate information and its sources critically. They were able to correctly indicate whether they had found a primary or secondary source for all 4 of the sources of information for the project.
4. The student was able to effectively demonstrate IC through their written bibliography. They were able to correctly cite all 4 of their sources.