Evidence-Based Practice Project-Focus on Culture and Diversity
Due Date and Instructions:
· March 1, 2012, no later than 12noon to Ms. Jablonski
· Papers turned in after 12noon on the due date will have a 10% deduction for that day. An additional 10% deduction will be made for each calendar day the paper is late.
Purpose of the Project: Evidence-based practice is a hallmark of nursing and general health care. This project is designed to initiate the beginning nursing student to the process of identifying an evidentiary basis for nursing practice and interventions. This projected narrows in focus to nursing interventions geared toward culture awareness and identification of culture-specific, evidence-based interventions.
Objectives: The beginning nursing student will accomplish the following over the course of this project:
· Identify a culture of interest (many religions have a culture of their own)
· Determine health issues specific to the culture of interest
· Utilize evidence-based literature ( A research article) to support identification of nursing interventions specific to the culture of interest
· Utilize Leininger’s Theory of Culture Care Diversity and Universality as a framework for applying nursing interventions specific to the culture of interest
· Create an APA formatted title and reference page ( see pg 45 & 47 in Georgia Highlands Handbook )
· Times New Roman with font size of 12 and double spaced
· Submit project in a paper pocket folder
Performance Outcomes: The following is a list of the 5 items to be turned in as your project. Please use this list as a checklist to ensure completion of all items.
· Perform a literature search using a professional database such as CINHAL.
Do not use a public search engine such as Google or Yahoo.
1. Using key words related to the culture of interest.
2. Print the search results page(s) and include in your paper pocket folder.
· Print 1 article from the search results, one that is helpful to complete the rest of the project.
1. Article will be from an American professional nursing journal. Article may also be from a nursing journal published outside the United States, written in the English language.
2. Article will be less than 5 years old, i.e. no older than 2006
3. Highlight key culturally-centered information that would be important to include in nursing care
4. Print the entire article and include in your paper pocket folder
· Use your evidence based article and highlighted information to apply Leininger’s Theory of Culture Care Diversity & Universality to your culture of interest by completing the following. Include this in your paper pocket folder. No handwritten work. This portion of the project must be typed.
For the culture you’ve selected, answer the following questions.
Type each question on your paper and then type your answer under the question.
1. Describe 3 significant cultural practices
2. How might these practices affect provision of health care?
3. Using Leininger’s Theory of Culture Care Diversity & Universality, identify potential nursing interventions for each of the following areas ( a separate paragraph for each):
a. Culture Care Preservation (Maintenance)
b. Culture Care Accommodation (Negotiation)
c. Culture Care Repatterning (Restructuring)
· Create a “Title” and “Reference” page.
1. Include ONLY the one article you printed and used to identify culturally congruent nursing interventions.
2. Use APA format. Utilize the GHC Student Handbook for guidelines. ( see pg 45 & 47 in Georgia Highlands Handbook )
3. This must be typed and formatted according to APA guidelines.
· Include a copy of the grading rubric with the paper pocket folder.
Points will be deducted for anything that is missing.