Art Appreciation 1113 ANALYSIS OF A WORK OF ART/CRITICAL ANALYSIS PAPER
Choose one work of art from a museum website online. Below is a list of museums to choose from. Analyze this work of art using visual and design elements that we have discussed in class and that you have read about. Examine the artist and artwork in relation to what is/was happening historically when the piece of work was made. Was the artist/artwork influenced by the circumstances in which the artist lived and the artwork was created OR did the artist/artwork have an impact on history? What art movements were happening during the artist’s lifetime, and did they influence the artist’s work?
Use the MLA Style guide below to assist with formatting.
To assist, try answering some the following questions in the your paper. Submit as a word document via email to email@example.com. Label the document with your name and project name (ex. Sarah Nathaniel_Art Work Analysis) If you do not name your file, there will be an automatic 10 points taken off of your grade.
1) What is the subject matter or content of the work chosen?
2) What is the art historical and cultural context for this work of art? When and where was the work made?
3) Describe the technique and medium. What is the scale of the work?
4) How would you describe the surface texture of the object?
5) How are the color and tone used?
6) How is the composition arranged? What part or aspect of the work captures my attention first? How does the artist lead my eye around the work?
7) How does the artist use light? Where is the light source?
8) How is line used? Are there horizontal, vertical, diagonal lines?
9) If applicable, how is the human figure presented? Is the human figure the focal point of the work? How does the figure relate to the overall composition of the work? Describe the scale of the subject – is it life sized? If more than one figure, how do they relate to each other?
10) Are there a lot of details in the work?
11) What mood or feeling do you get from the work? Is it expressive in style?
12) How is space arranged? Does the artist convey depth (a recession into space)?
13) Is the work abstract, representational or non-representational?
14) What is the title of the work? Does that give any clues into the meaning of the work?
15) Where is this work of art located? Imagine how it is displayed and describe the scene.
List of Museums
The Tate (London)
SFMOMA (San Francisco)
MLA Writing and Style Guide: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/01/