IC stands for information competency, which is the ability to recognize what type of information is needed, locate that information, evaluate it and use it effectively. Click here for more information
The Library IC exercise is given below. Make sure that you read the questions closely, understand what is being asked and answer all parts of the question. Good Luck!!
1. I have been asked to write a paper on Munchausen syndrome and all the books pertaining to that disorder at GHC are checked out. Are there other libraries in the University System of Georgia that have books on Munchausen syndrome? If so, how many books are listed in the GIL Universal Catalog that would be highly relevant to this subject?
2. I am looking for a book, entitled “Born to wander.” It was written by a once-famous rock musician-singer from the 1970s, and his last name is Rivera. Can you tell me which library, or libraries in the United States own a copy?
3. I am taking an English 1102 class, and I have to find peer-reviewed, scholarly journal articles that are criticisms of William Faulkner’s novel, “Sanctuary.” I’ve been told that MLA International Bibliography in GALILEO is a good place to look. Using that database, how many full-text articles can I find on the aforementioned topic?
5. I am taking a Georgia History class and my professor wants me to use a particular database in GALILEO that features encyclopedia-type articles on various persons in Georgia History. I have to find some information on “Ma Rainey.” Specifically, I need to find out what her nickname was; where she was born; the name of her recording company she signed a contract with; when she died; and what she died of. (Each part worth 2 points)
6. My nursing professor wants me to find an article entitled, “Pavulon Pandemonium,” on GALILEO. Once I find it, I have to read it and write down what a warning label placed on vials of pavulon advised hospital nurses to do before administering the dangerous drug to patients. According to the article, what does the label say (word-for-word):
7. According to the latest MLA format style, found on the library home page, how should you list the following print book on the Works Cited page? (Author: Hiram P. Bell. Title: “Men and Things.” City of Publication: Atlanta. Publisher: Foote & Davies Company. Year of Publication: 1907).
8. According to the latest APA format style, how should you list the following web page?
Author of website: Cleburne County Chamber of Commerce.
Title of website: East Alabama History Museum. Date website was created: 2008.
Web Address: www.eastalabamahistorymuseum.com
9. My physics professor wants me to read a particular peer-reviewed journal article on aviation and physics. The article has something to do with “atmospheric turbulence.” It was published in 2009, and I think he said he saw it in GALILEO’s Research Library database. Anyway, I have to read the article and tell him what E.D.R. means.
10. I need to find the link on the GHC Library’s Home Page entitled Research Guides. Under Research Guides, my Philosophy professor wants me to find the guide for Philosophy, and look up a quote that sums up the meaning of Stoicism. What does the quote say?
Looking for Answers? Just type your question into the box below!