Writing # 5 Persuasive Essay
· Due Monday, 4/11 or Tuesday, 4/12 at the beginning of class.
· 2 sources must be cited in the paper— from Galileo and/or books from the Opposing Viewpoints series. You may have one more citation but it must also be from a reliable source as noted in our discussion on reliable sources with Ms. Vines. Do not quote more than 15% of your paper.
· Sources must be cited in the essay using MLA style—you may use direct quotes or a paraphrase.
· Plagiarism on this paper will be an automatic failure for the CLASS.
· No title page.
You may choose from the following topics.
· Argue for or against nuclear energy.
· Argue for or against standardized testing in schools.
· Examine some aspect of the American educational system—students—teachers—public—administration—government.
· Discuss one or more areas in which Americans should be forced to go green.
· Examine profiling in the American legal system.
· Examine the issue of hunger in the U.S.
· Examine the Border Fence --- the Mexican U.S. Barrier
· Does each American have the right to free medical care?
Grading guide for the argument/analysis essay
_____MLA format including pagination, first page heading, Works Cited Page (15 points)
____Two sources must be cited correctly in the paper (20 points)
____Thesis statement (10 points)
____Organization (10 points)
____Grammar (20 points)
____Content (25 points)
· Approximately 800-1000 words.
___All students must turn in an essay to pass this class. Each day late -10 points